How to Prepare for your Portrait
48FineArt offers classic portraits. Our best advice is 'keep it simple but elegant'.
Fine art portraiture captures your facial expression, mood and presence. Your face is the focus of the portrait. However, investing in the right clothing is invaluable to the success of your portrait.
What is Best for Your portrait:
- Dark tonal colors such as black, grey, navy or dark green.
- Longer length dresses or skirts for women with arms covered by clothing or a wrap/scarf.
- Suits for men and either suits or jackets and matching color pants for boys. Longer length pants for both men and boys.
- Well fitted clothes especially for children. We appreciate that sometimes we buy clothes for the children to ‘grow into’ but for the portrait this will actually work against you.
- Well ironed clothes please - wrinkles and creases will show.
You are the focus of your portrait, not your clothing.
What Will Not Work for your Portrait:
- Patterns, logos or polo shirt.
- Plaid, large prints or stripes.
- Jeans, sportswear or sneakers.
- Bright colored clothing.
Clothing for Women:
- Please remember that the classic style portrait is not based on what is on trend now. Think of what you would wear to an evening event such as a wedding or cocktail party. Clothes that are elegant and classic.
- Longer length dresses/skirts (past your knees) are the most complimentary and make it easier for sitting or standing poses.
- Shoulders and upper arms are best if they are covered; a wrap or similar is good.
- Closed toe shoes and not open sandals.
Our eyes will automatically go to bright colors or bare skin and we want the focus to be on your face. Clothes should be elegant but blend into the overall portrait background.
Clothing for Men:
- Please wear a suit and a long sleeved buttoned down shirt that matches the color of your suit.
- No white shirts please. Men and boys should wear shirts to match their suits/jackets.
- Ties – no stripes or patterns. We have extra ties in the studio.
- Dark socks and footwear and have your shoes shined!
- Hair – avoid gel and if getting a haircut please do so about one week before your portrait.
- Men should shave 1-2 hours earlier than the scheduled session time.
Clothing for Boys:
- Please wear a suit if possible or alternatively a blazer/jacket and matching colored long pants.
- Buttoned down long sleeve shirt.
- No white shirts.
- Bow ties are great and these can be colorful.
Clothing for Girls:
- Party/Occasion dresses in darker or jewel toned colors work very well in our portraits.
- Please avoid bright colors or patterned dresses.
- Closed toe party or dress shoes are recommended.
- Headbands or flowery clips are encouraged. Bring any other favorite accessories.
- Please remove any nail polish, temporary tattoos, color marks etc.
Hair, Make Up and Jewelry:
- It is important that you are happy with your hair; wear your hair as you usually do but please avoid it covering your eyes or too much of your face.
- Soft make up as you usually wear it.
- Avoid too much hairspray or gel.
- If wearing jewelry, nothing too bright or contemporary.
- Nails – no polish or just clear is best.
If you normally wear glasses you may do so in the portrait, viewers of your portrait will recognize you better. You might want to consider removing the lenses to eliminate reflection.
The Night Before:
Have all your clothes and accessories ready the night before the portrait session.
The Session Day:
Please eat beforehand! As the session may take up to two hours, we always recommend that you don’t come hungry.
We are very happy to answer any questions you have prior to the session regarding our clothing guidelines to avoid the need to reschedule your session. If in any doubt whatsoever, we encourage you to send us a photo of your outfits.
Above all, we hope that your portrait session will be truly wonderful and most importantly, stress free!